University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota
http://www.umn.edu/
612-625-5000
RIVER LIFE

New River Life web site is more focused, dynamic, interactive

We’ve got a new web site at River Life, which, now that I think about it, you probably know if you’re reading this.  (Some of these things come slowly to a 20th century mind like mine!)

Please take a few minutes and scan around the site.  If you see things you like, tell your friends; if there’s something you don’t like tell us.  It won’t hurt my feelings if you tell us what you like also, though.

The new site is more focused than our previous digital work.  Until this week, the blog, atlas, and web site were all on different platforms, accessed through different parts of the U of M digital world.  If you managed not to notice this, good for you.  On our end, it was a major pain in the neck.

We’re especially pleased with the River Portal feature on the new site.  The portal allows us to let you know quickly what interesting stuff we’ve found on our blog reads, Twitter feed, and Google Alert notices.  Portal posts are intended to be shorter than blog posts, quick hits to get you thinking.

Lastly, the blog itself should be much more interactive.  Do write and contribute to the conversation.  The whole thing is on a WordPress platform, so commenting should be pretty easy for those of you who spend a lot of time writing online.  Joanne Richardson, our stellar manager of all things digital, envisions us evolving to the point where we have regular guest columns and a network of commentators.  If I knew more about this, I would share that vision, but it’s still a little fuzzy for me!

You probably know that I personally had very little to do with the development of this new site and all its advantages.  In addition to Joanne’s great work, a shout-out should go to Michelle Beaman the Institute on the Environment‘s Data and Information Systems Developer.  She allowed us to be the guinea pig in IonE’s new web directions and has been a consistently reliable source of good information and advice.

This new site represents an important step for us, but it’s really only as good as the community it serves.  So let us know how we can use the features to help you learn more about your work, other people who do work comparable to yours, the contexts for what you do, and any thing else that promotes a vision of rivers that are inclusive and sustainable.