University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota
http://www.umn.edu/
612-625-5000
RIVER LIFE

So What ARE the Most Important Issues Facing the Mississippi River?

Ships Passing in the Mississippi River GorgeI was talking with a colleague yesterday and she asked me, “Quickly, off the top of your head, what are the three most important issues facing the Mississippi River?”

Uncharacteristically, I was stumped.  After fumbling around for a while (and thinking that I really need to step back and see the river as well as the individual drops I study), I came up with this list:

• learning to “see” the river as part of a system that has particular physical and biological properties/characteristics, as well as a very particular human history;
  • reducing or eliminating the pollutants in the water so that it can become both fishable and swimmable;
  • aligning current land uses in the river corridor so that the river’s health is enhanced.

So this was my fumbling response, which upon reflection I realized speak to my work at a university, with river advocacy and policy folks, and with river communities.

My question for you: what would YOU say are the three most important issues facing the Mississippi River?  Send us a note, comment on the blog, reply however you wish; this is interesting and important!