We are Water
River Life, in collaboration with a number of campus and community partners, will host the “We Are Water” traveling exhibit on campus between October 12-November 26, 2018. The exhibit will be on view at the Institute on the Environment; visit its website for more information about the exhibit, and to see more information about the extensive calendar of events.
River Life in particular is hosting a series of events in and around Northrop, on the East Bank of the University of Minnesota. Visit Facebook for more information on each specific event, including a series of River Walks leaving from the Northrop Plaza at noon each Wednesday until mid-November, and panel discussions titled "The River at our Doorstep," "All That We Are Is Story," and "Living With Water."
We Are Water MN is a partnership formed to tell Minnesota’s water stories collaboratively, bringing together personal narratives, historical materials, and scientific information. Combining these ways of knowing water strengthens Minnesotans’ relationships with and responsibilities to water. The We Are Water MN partners are the Minnesota Humanities Center, the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, the Minnesota Historical Society, the Minnesota Department of Health, the Minnesota Department of Agriculture, and the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.
The We Are Water MN partners hope to accomplish seven goals:
- Deepen relationships among state level partners.
- Build host site capacity to practice the Humanities Center’s relationship-based approach.
- Support the expansion of local networks within host communities.
- Share state and local histories and narratives about water.
- Build Minnesotans’ individual relationships with water by sharing multiple perspectives.
- Build Minnesotans’ individual responsibilities to water.
- Build relationships between Minnesotans through community engagement events and activities before, during, and after the exhibit.